Stat Counter



Monday, January 19, 2009

Happy MLK Day

Hi,again.Happy Martin Luther King Day.

Last Sunday found me once again plowing snow.Saturday evening at around 6:30 I checked on buckeyetraffic.org.Hit the 'Text- Only Version';clicked on:'Winter Location Conditions';scrolled down to,'District Seven' and saw that Auglaize County had 11 crews working.

Shit.

I called my boss,and asked him if I was going to be needed.He said no,that they were just about finishing things up and everyone was going to be sent home.

Good.

I stayed up past SNL.The old Star Trek was just coming on.I was getting ready for bed.

It was 1:30am Sunday morning.

The phone rang.

Shit.

I knew it was work.

I ended up plowing snow from 2am until 5:30 pm.

15 1/2 hours!

I had been up since 7:30 Saturday morning.

Oh well.All's well that ends well.The plowing went smoothly and also rather quickly.I fell asleep at 10 watching the Obama party on HBO.

Yes,Finally a good nights sleep...and today off to boot:-)

So,happy MLK Day.

I have started a tradition for MLK Day:trading or giving books.I gave my MLK presents out to most people at Christmas time,but forgot to give out any to you..

...So,here are a few on line choices that I picked out just for my faithful readers(both of you) to choose from:


1:The Brothers Karamazov by Fydor Mikhailovich Dostoevsky
This book is really just a prelude to another book that never got written.It is long.It is winding.It is one of the best books that I have ever read.

2:Huckaberry Finn by Mark Twain
Again...just another great book.When Huck is conflicted for loving Tom over viewing him as someone else's property...that is just a great moment in literature.Also,when Mark Twain revisits Tom Sawyer and treats him soo unkindly,I never saw an author treat a beloved character so badly.One amazing book.A have to read.



3:A Tale Of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
I am a fan of Dickens.'A Christmas Carol' is one of my favorite books.I am only around a quarter of the way through 'Tale'.I love it.But it is in old English.Some words have different meanings than they do now.And the book is so well crafted,that Charles takes his time in his story telling.Long orations on little things.Marvelous.

I hope you haven't read these already,but if you have,they are worth a re-read,no?

Since I don't know when I will get to post again,here are a few other things on my mind...

If some group from Israel had bombed and killed,let's say,four Palestinians and Palestine retaliated by killing over 600 Israelis,wouldn't America and the world just be totally up in arms?!?I am all for Israel.I am pro-Israeli,but this is evil.This is wrong.There has to be a better way.

Go Obama Go!It might not last-probably won't last-but I have not seen America so excited about an inauguration in a long long time.

Where there is hope there is fire...wait,that's not right:-(

Well,I'm out of here...

...crap...I forgot about Nanky Poo again

1 comment:

Dharma said...

It's very good to hear that you are working so much after going through those lean years. It has had to have made things easier for you guys. Hope that it has lightened the load.

As for the books... read Huck Finn the last year I taught, but honestly...I think the classics are okay, but am much more fond of newer works. I am still reading the Denis Leary book and loving it!