Stat Counter



Friday, July 31, 2009

Blessed Are The Poor...

Today,I had an eye examine(yes,I am slowly going blind),and I got a new pair of safety glasses for work.Because we have a nice insurance plan,exam,frames,bifocals,transitional lens and safety features only cost me $42.00!

Because I was curious,I asked how much this would have cost me without my very fine insurance....and you guessed it...over $430.00!

This is what I would like to know...this is what I would like to ask my congressman:why does it cost someone poorer than me over ten times as much to afford eyeglasses!?!

I mean-come on.You can be working forty hours a week(fifty,fifty five,sixty)and without optical insurance,you have to pay over TEN times the amount for eye glasses that someone insured has to(let's not further discount the connection,here...anything paid through insurance raises the market price).

Why are people that can't afford insurance forced to pay TEN times the amount of those that are lucky enough to be able to?

It's an outrage.

Under-insured should,at least,only pay what wealthier people pay.

Sure,wealthier people work hard for their benefits-but insurance is just that:a benefit of their employment.Your family's health should not depend on a luxurious blessing of your employer.

I know the G.O.P. is fear mongering us into thinking that universal health care will decide when old people will die(like health care doesn't do that already),but what they aren't telling you is that the people that can least afford to have health care are taking the brunt of the failed health care system's costs.

The same old same old argument of,'I have to work for my insurance,why shouldn't they?' just doesn't hold much water.But the Republicans constantly spew it because the big business lobbyists pulling their strings keep telling them what to say.

Corporate welfare,on the other hand,seems to be OK.Pay banks,mortgage and car companies any amount they want(rumor has it that the Treasury Dept under the Bush administration 'gave' banks over FIVE TRILLION DOLLARS-gave-not lent),and it's good for the country.

But why help ailing businesses and not ailing families?Especially when having health care is more cost effective when illness is caught early on?
Because big business makes more on sick patients.

Those with a Republican lean will bite at any morsel thrown their way.Any excuse to fit their need.And damn if it's better for America.And damn if it's better for Americans.They just spew their hatred for our government all the while they're waving their red white and blue.

It makes me sick.

And I'd be outta luck without health care.

No comments: