Stat Counter



Sunday, February 04, 2007

RED RIGHT 88>or How I Stopped Worrying And Started To Love The Super Bowl


First off,I love the hype of The Super Bowl.I love watching the commercials..and that's around it.The game is usually boring(YAWN)..and even worse..the half time shows suck.

The reasons for this are varied,but the two big reasons for long boring games are '1':There is no home crowd...and '2' : The warm weather.

Sure these are good for the fans that are there-and how can you have a half time show in cold weather-but for the rest of us...boring...

On January 4th,1981 my brothers,some friends and I went to one of the most exciting pro-football games ever played.We went to see what is now most famously known as,'Red Right 88'.It was at the old Cleveland Municipal Stadium,and the Browns were playing The Oakland Raiders in a post season do or die playoff game.The night before we all got together at my old friend,Dave Thomas'trailer and partied like it was 1999.Ever hear The Rover's song,'Wasn't That A Party'?It was sorta just like that.


The next day,the bunch of us went up to the game,and Brrr...was it cold!The highest it ever got was 4 degrees with a wind chill of minus 37.Though The Browns lost 14-12(instead of trying a field goal,they tried a pass-Red Right 88-that was intercepted by the Raider's,Mike Davis in the end zone),it was one of the most fun times I can ever remember having at a football game.

And that brings up the troubles with the Super Bowl game.The Super Bowl is either always played at an indoor or warm weather sight...just,I suppose,so they can have a half time show...and on a neutral field,no less:NO HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE / NO HOME FIELD CROWD NOISE!

These two things are the very things that make most playoff games(and Championship games)so very exciting.

I purpose to start playing the Super Bowl at the team with the best record's stadium.Can you imagine how much more exciting today's Super Bowl would be in ice cold-below zero-Chicago?It would be awesome.The home crowd would be into it,frozen breath and all.What an exceptional game it would be no matter what the score...and wouldn't you just want to be there!?!I think I would!I think I could forgo Prince for a better more exciting game.

Wouldn't you?




4 comments:

Dharma said...

Well, I am one for home fans, but can skip the freezing cold temps. Although with the amount of money they make maybe they should play in sub-zero temps.

Half time shows like Price just suck big time!! Where do they come up with this crap? What age group do they thiunk he appeals to? What demographic did they think would just love to watch that half-time show? Not I.

What If There Is dog? said...

Actually,I hate to say this,but I feel I have to somewhat eat my words.The rain added to the game(and fans paying $3,000.00 and up to get wet to see it)added to my pleasure of watching it.I have been a long time Prince fan(since 1999)and I thought he rocked...of course most of the people I was watching it with agreed with Dharma on the half time show...but I am a Prince fan.

Dharma said...

I will admit that I was a fan in the early 9o's, but I guess he has gotten tired and uninteresting for me now. For a game that is supposed to be a large draw for a huge part of the population you would think that someone more popular or mainstream would have been chosen. The halfitme shows have sucked for years. I cannot even remember a great one.

Isn't 3000 a ticket a tad gross excess? C'mon, it is just football.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the halftime show for a change. I thought it was pretty entertaining.

The game was NOT so much fun for my Bears-fan husband...

Mixter