Stat Counter



Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Stupid Is As Stupid Does

Let's see,for $11.00[a dollar raise]an hour,my company wants me to drive to the warehouse-45 miles away-towards Columbus-to be at their warehouse in Plain City
at 5:30am-driving my car,using my gas,to pick up a new employee because he doesn't have enough gas in his car to drive.

Then,next,for a $10.00 traveling bonus they want me to travel-without my $11.00 per hour pay-for an hour an a half,the opposite way>back past Bellefontaine>all the 90 mile way to Celina.

So far,I have driven all this time and mileage for $10.00 lousy dollars.Then,if I am lucky,I get to put in a 8-10 hour day,and drive this new employee the 90 miles back to his car in Plain City for free!

Finally,again for free,I get to go home.

If I take the van{because it is running better} and say,if I stretch the truth and say that it gets 20 mpg,it will take me over 13 gallons of gas to go from here,to there,there and back again,and then back to here.At Bellefontaine gas prices($3.20),I will spend $41.60 on gas.I will not get paid the 45 minutes to Plain City,nor the 180 mile round trip to Celina and back to Plain City.Also,my time is free for the 45 minutes going home.That is four and a half hours of my time for which I am not getting paid.My van does get $10.00 gas though.

If I work eight hours,I will have put in an extra four and a half hours for free to get it.So,$88.00 plus the ten bucks for gas is $98.00.Minus the $41.60 is $56.40.Divide that by 12 hours that I put in,that's,let's see...
...$4.60 an hour.

I made more than that on my paper route when I was twelve.That was thirty seven years ago!I might just call in sick...because I am sick of this shit.



5 comments:

Dharma said...

No legit place would even ask you to pick up another employee and do all that other crap. It is time for you to put your foot down. You may be a nice christian person, but how long can you let these people use you? This is not the way things are meant to be. You gave the guy a ride and so there was no gas used on his part and no wear and tear on his vehicle AND he got paid for working that day. It cost you WAAAY more.

You may have to step outside of the box that your family is used to, but in the end it may prove beneficial to all of you. Look for work or schooling where you can find it. Didn't you say, at one time, that you did trees? Why can't you go somewhere and look in to that work again? There must be areas in the state , or nearby states, that have work that you can do. It sounds like your area is a bit more depressed than most.

I wish you all the best in your efforts. I know it has probably taken a toll, but it seems that it is coming to a head and you will have some tough choices in the future if you wish to move in better directions.

Esteban said...

If its any consolation, those travel expenses are tax deductible.

Anonymous said...

First, tell them you will NOT drive the other guy. You're not a taxi service, and they are not compensating you enough for your time, trouble, or vehicle wear and tear.

Second, start sending out resumes! If you wanna e-mail me your work history, I will be happy to make a resume for you. I've gotten good at this over the past five months.

Third, working at McDonald's is better than going to a job you hate. Find yourself something that you enjoy, even if it doesn't pay what you're used to. I wasn't meant to be a recruiter, but I didn't hate it. And I made some new friends/contacts and learned a little something along the way.

Mixter

What If There Is dog? said...

The kicker to this whole situation is that the kid never showed up.The reason i was put on this project was because a project manager whom put in over 700 miles the last two days asked for some gas money and they gave him 3 days off because the company said,'That he was costing them too much money.'But since the kid never showed up,they had to call the project manager back to work and had him ride with me!In all,I nearly drove 300 miles today(Though I drove the Focus).80 to pick up a person who didn't have gas and that never showed-then to take a higher up who was supposed to be off because they were punishing him for asking for gas money!Does this make any sense to any one?

Dharma said...

Time to move on!!!!