Stat Counter



Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Drinking Schlitz

Yes,Schiltz.

I have been reading about the re-introduction of the 'older' formula of this classic beer for some time.

My memories of this brew began in the 1960's.It seemed like one of the only beers my family would drink at family reunions.

My own drinking experiences of it in the late '70's & early '80's were limited.Good times were had,but it got a low~end rep.I and most of my friends just didn't drink it all that much.

I haven't seen hide or hair of it in a long time.

But the hype,the news about the return of the 1960's formula peaked my interest.I wanted to taste the taste that my parents,aunts and uncles all tasted when they exclaimed,"Aaah,Schlitz,this is what beer should taste like."

So,I was pleasantly surprised when I found it in our local grocery store.I immediately bought and chilled a six pack.

I was hooked from the first sip.It is slightly heavier than your average beer(ie.Budweiser),yet has a very pleasant aftertaste similar to what you would experience in a high end beer,say,a Sam Adams.Love that aftertaste.

It is very drinkable..and by drinkable,I don't mean the modern term meaning,'no taste'...but just the opposite.Schlitz tastes good.Really good.'Schlitz tastes like beer should taste like'.

I introduced it to a buddy,Shane.Schlitz is all he will drink.

And,there is no headache afterwords either...not bad for a beer with some kick.

Am I a Schlitz drinker..?Yes,Yes I am.Damn straight I am.

No comments: