Stat Counter



Monday, June 12, 2006

The Answer To philosophy 101

Many moon ago,way back in college,I sat in on one of my friend's classes.The instructor took the class outside and sat us on a grassy knoll.The class...Philosophy 101.Towards the end of the class,he asked the atypical beginner class question,"If God is so powerful,can He make a rock so big,that He can not lift it?"Now,even then,I knew this question was supposed to be redundant.It was a question made to make you question,start the mental juices flowing.It was Philosophy 101 afterall.

But right when the class was breaking up.I received the answer.First,the question was bullshit.Wouldn't have God have to had created gravity first for the question to have any meaning?

Good point,I thought,but that could still be considered avoiding the question.Luckily,I was still given the answer.

To make the answer truly work 100%,I felt the terms to the question had to be totally agreed upon.So,I had to dissect the question to make sure we could agreed upon the terms(we being my second voice-my doubt-my editor-my prove it to me drive).Let's do that here.

If(is it possible)God(the creator;the supreme being or beings)is so powerful(able to do anything)can He make (make,build,create )a rock(an inanimate object)So big(large,massive,hugh,etc)That He(the creator;the supreme being or beings)can't(is unable to,or can not accomplish the said task)Lift(raise,move)it(the said inanimate object)?

Now,that we are agreed upon the terms,first off,it does not matter how big the said object is.It could be as tiny as a molecule or as large as a thousand universes.All God has to do is say the he will refuse to lift it.In this case,saying He/She won't lift it is the same as not being able to lift it.It adheres to the possibilities of the question:Object can not be lifted.

Ah,but here is the fun part,then how does God get it to move?This answer also adheres to the question:Can He make-can He Create(This is important)?Yes He can!Given that as a given,God can still make it move by giving it the possiblity of life!Then,it can move itself!

Wow!Isn't that cool!.I no longer worry if I don't have the answer to a troubling question about God.I,sometimes even think it is folly to try to stump myself and/or let myself be worried any longer.Just because I don't have the answer does not mean someone else won't someday figure it out.I guess that is faith in a nutshell.




No comments: