Stat Counter



Thursday, May 10, 2007

Why I Think That Rebates Are A Sham

Once upon a time there were three through-hikers named Nikolas,Tyler and Adam.After five days on the trail they happened upon a real campground.It had running water,real toilets,a fire pit,and a store to refurbish their supplies.

Naturally,they decided to stay.

The owner of the campground charged them ten dollars apiece,or thirty dollars.And our happy campers paid him and went merrily on their way to find their campsite for the night.

After Nikolas,Tyler and Adam left,the owner realized that he did not give them the five dollar through hiker discount.So he called his son over to him and said,"Son,here are five one dollar bills.Go find the through hikers and give them their five dollars back."

The son,and industrial lad,thought to himself,"There is no way I can divide these five one dollar bills evenly amongst the three hikers.So,I will just keep two of the dollars for myself,and just give each of the backpackers a dollar back.And so he did.

Therefore,Nikolas,Tyler and Adam each paid $9.00 for the right to spent the night at the campground,paying a total of $27.00.If you then add the two dollars that the boy kept,that comes to a grand total of only $29.00!

What happened to the extra dollar?Where did it go?Three times nine is twenty seven.Plus two equals twenty nine!Just where is the extra dollar???

OK,the real question isn't where is the extra dollar,but,WHAT RIGHT DID THE BOY HAVE KEEPING THE TWO DOLLAR BILLS?The answer is...he had no right.

And to me,that is exactly what rebates sound like.Not only do they make me always jump through hoops to get my rebate(Cut the bar codes off all packaging,have certified copies of receipts of all purchases,mailled rebates must be received on a Tuesday),but it always seems like I have just ended up paying more then I should have.

While they claim I am getting three dollars back,it always seems to me like not only am I missing and extra dollar,but they are also pocketing two more of them!

Am I the only one that feels this bamboozlement with rebates?Or is it just me?

No comments: