Stat Counter



Sunday, August 12, 2007

Sky Rocket In Flight

I have had a love affair with the night skies since the Apollo space program.My eighth grade science teacher,Mr.Jivadin,took us to see,'2001-A Space Odyssey',and I was hooked.Ooh,I am just a dabbler,really...I have a small telescope,and watch the news for upcoming events.But,I love a free night time show.This stuff is fun.


And fun can be had this week.Wantta see some shooting stars?The Perseid meteor showers are at their peak tonight through Tuesday night,with Monday the 13th being the best of the best times to see them.You can possibly see up to 60 meteors and hour!Thanks to there being a new moon right when Earth goes through the debris of comet Swift-Tuttle,this could be a good chance in seeing allot of shooting stars!


The best time to see this amazing night time extravaganza is between midnight and 5:00 am.So,good luck watching...and don't forget to make a wish or two!


Mars is also going to be making an appearance,but don't be fooled by the e-mail hoax that is making it's rounds right now.It is false,and based on the 2003 apparition of Mars.The Red planet will still be up there....but as big as the moon?!?Not gonna happen.

But that does not mean that all is lost.For even more space fun,thanks to NASA,you can track the Sky Lab space station or even the space shuttle Endeavour.Now,they are fun to see.To find out how,simply click [here] and follow the instructions.

Finally,on the night of the 28th there is going to be a full lunar eclipse.Be sure not to miss that.

No,no,there is no need to thank me.I am glad to be of service.I don't know how long you have been enjoying viewing the night sky,but me,I have been taking up space for years.

Enjoy:-)

No comments: