Stat Counter



Sunday, October 07, 2007

The Comics

The Funky Winkerbean 'Death of Lisa' arc reached it's apex this past Thursday,October,4th.Immediately,the next day,the strip continued the story line as a series of flashbacks-I believe-from nine years into the furture.This whole Funky Winkerbean story line has been just so touching and incredible,something I can't wait to read daily.This strip has been just as brave and daring as all those great newer comics strips fighting just for the chance,'the chance',to be published on the ever shrinking daily newspaper comics page.My hope is that strips like this will wake up newspaper publishers and editors,and make them realize that they need to expand their comic page and let more great comics in because it's good for business.That is why this is the comic of the week.









2 comments:

Dharma said...

I am not actually a fan, or reader, of the comics. I used to read Doonesbury, but that was it. I have not read it for many years. I just find them too tedious and often....just not very funny. I especially don't want to see social commentary in them. Several people that I do EMS with have also recently commented that the comics used to be much funnier until they decided to become soap operas or focus on making some point socially. I actually don't even look at that part of the paper any more either. Read the commentaries and a gander at local and then I'm finished.

What If There Is dog? said...

Dharma,'tis a shame that you don't find the humour in the funnies.Alas,most editors must think the same way you do.

On the other hand,I always start my day off with the comics.The comics have always been more then just jokes,and they are the perfect medium to explore many of the follies and dilemnas of modern day life....much like John Steward and Steven Colbert...much can be said in the funnies that can't be said(or hell,even spoken)elsewhere.

I consider myself a very serious person,perhaps that's why I need my daily funny fix-to level me out