Stat Counter



Sunday, July 15, 2007

New Feature:The Comic Of The Week

*For newer comics,click on my logo and then scroll down*


I am trying out a new feature that I am going to call,'The Comic Of The Week'.Simply put,I will try to post on Sunday what I thought was the best cartoon of the past week.I make no claims of it being the funniest...just the best.I will start off with the best cartoon from last week,A Funky Winkerbean.In this July 3rd comic,Lisa Moore and her husband,Les,find out that Lisa is indeed dying from breast cancer.This was very unexpected(by me,anyway)and very very powerful.












Meanwhile,this week's choice is a different sort of choice.It is just plain funny(and topical).This Brewsters Rocket from Friday the 13th is a funny take off on Harry Potter.Using a cell phone in the gag is just TNT...very LOL funny.








This July 18th political cartoon by Jeff Stahler of The Columbus Dispatch was by far the best comic of the week.



I don't know why I find this 'B.C.' comic from July 26th so amusing.Maybe as a connoisseur of fine fruitcake,I just love a fruitcake joke:In July :-)Anyway,it is the comic of the week




This weeks comic almost felt like it was meant to be.After all,last week,I almost picked a Cleveland Browns joke as The Comic Of The Week.This August First Tank McNamara was just too topical and funny to resist.






This 'Slowpoke' comic from Monday,August ,6th,really pissed me off.As an Akron area native,I have usually been proud of Good-Year.This Comic Of The week just makes me sick.



Chip Bok,the Akron Beacon Journal's political cartoonist did this weeks best comic.This hilarious take on the NBA official caught gambling on games he refereed was first published on August,17th.It is darn tootin' funny.That is why it is the comic of the week:-)





This week's comic of the week comes from the August 21, 'Ripley's Believe It Or Not'.The fact that over half of Japan's 20 year olds use wireless internet service is just mind boggling.I don't know anyone who used this service.America is far behind on this.I have worked in northern California and have seen groves of these giant beautiful trees.Too bad soo many are gone.Rose bushes...all of these berries are related to rose bushes.One great fun strip this week.




This week's comic of the week is a tie.First,as the Funky Winkerbean 'Death Of Lisa' story intensifies,so does the strip.After a so-so week{with Les talking to his cat},this Saturday strip just blew me out of the water.I hardly ever get this emotionally attached-to anything.Great comic.
There are a ton of 'new' comic strips out there that I read daily...they are that good.'Moderately Confused';'Candorville';'Clear Blue Water';'Pibgorn';'Girls And Sports';'Frog Applause' and this favorite called 'Retail'.I just love this comic.It has great art work(love it),is always funny,and is so current and knows it's retail.It takes place in a fictional retali sore called,'Grumbel's'(think Wal-Mart in a mall).This August 31st funny made me LoL!


It is rare in today's comic world to come across a comic strip so fresh and fun that you don't know quite what to think of it.With 'Frog Applause',I don't even try.Half of Frog's appeal is to just go with it's unique blend of word and idea usage.The other half is that it is not afraid to be bold and daring.This may not your grandfather's comic strip,but then again,it depends on grandfather :-)

This strip from last Thursday is a classic example of the 'Frog Applause' attitude of daring you to use your imagination.I found it both erotic and somewhat not at the same time....just like the 'Apocalypse Now' reference it pays tribute to.

F.A. should be read by everyone:DAILY!.That is why is strip is the comic of the week.


As the years unfold,the tragedies of 9/11 are slowly leaving the forefront of our attention spans.Soon,the day will be known simply as,'Patriot Day'.It will be just another day that we don't get mail and the banks are closed.It has already begun.Most 9/11 coverage was relegated to the second page and the day after.9/11 has become a secondary news story.


And so it was with the funnies.Very few comic strips even acknowledged the events on the day at all.That is why this September 11th,'One Big Happy' comic struck me so well.It was current,actually put some thought into it's tribute,and went above it's normal daily punch line to honor that which others forgot.A job well done.That is why it is the comic of the week.



*For more recent cartoons,please click on my logo to get to the main page and then scroll down:-)*

No comments: