Stat Counter



Saturday, February 23, 2008

BOYCOTT FOX

Thanks to my good friend,Dharma,I have become aware of a Bill O'Reilly statement suggesting that he was going to form a lynching party for Michelle Obama if her views were not to his liking.

This is well beyond getting ratings.This is well beyond hate speech.This is telling people straight out that Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama's wife should be assassinated.Mister(and I use the term loosely)O'Reilly should not only be fired,but the terms of his termination should be that he makes no public or private appearances and can make no statements to the media of any kind.In my opinion,'if we have the hard facts that he actually said this' he should be thrown in jail and tried for inciting terrorism against the state.

Here is what Mr. O'Reilly supposedly said,"And I don't want to go on a lynching party against Michelle Obama unless there's evidence, hard facts, that say this is how the woman really feels. If that's how she really feels -- that America is a bad country or a flawed nation, whatever -- then that's legit. We'll track it down."

I am not saying that this isn't taken somewhat out of context.It is.In the course of his speech,Mr. O'Reilly actually appears to be defending Mrs.Obama...BUT...if I was defending John McCain against the rants of a caller and stated,"Look,I don't want to go dragging John McCain from the back of my pick up truck...".I am sure much would be said.

In fact,the nonchalance of his saying this is what makes it so so very very offensive.If you listen to to pretext of this statement,this lady(and I use the term lady-loosely) was quite evidently pre-screened.Pre-screening suggests that the producers have a say(can pick and choose)whom they will(and will not)put on the air.Now,I am not suggesting that this was a 'set up' call...but it did make what I believe what Mr.O'Reilly and his staff would consider great radio.

I am all for great radio...but not at the expense of terrorizing a presidential candidate into bowing into line by off handed-read between the lines-threats to his wife.

I therefore,am using my free choice,and using the channel flicker as a means of public protest.I will not watch,listen or read anything FOX:including NASCAR,American Idol and The Simpsons until Bill O'Reilly is fired.

No comments: