Stat Counter



Saturday, May 22, 2010

My Heart Attack Story Part 3

"While we do do heart catheterizations,here,at MRH,we don't do stints,so we would like to transfer you immediately to OSU hospital in Columbus."

This was Robyn's worse nightmare.

"We are lucky that we found this early.Your x-rays show possible damage to the bottom of your heart.You'll probably need a stint.But they'll know better once they do the procedure.

"In a heart catheterization,"the doctor continued,"They inject a dye and then take a scope,usually up through a vein in your groin,to check your heart."

"Its a fairly common procedure.OSU does over twenty a day.Very safe," The doctor finished.

I guess that it was...except that both Robyn and I had a sister-in-law whose mother died surprisingly from this around fifteen years ago.They had nicked and artery and she had bled to death in the hospital.My Dad,whom had both a triple by-pass and a heart valve replacement said that he hated the heart cath worst of all.


Gulp.

But also surprisingly,I found my metal.I wasn't afraid at all.Maybe it was the blood thinner.Or the bad ticker.I don't know.But I wasn't worried.


It all just didn't matter.This had put life into perspective.I had taken life and health for granted.I shrugged my shoulders,"Gotta do what ya gotta do."

"The doctor went on,"We will have to wait until OSU has an open bed...probably a couple hours."

So,we waited.It was good time together.Robyn had been texting all morning.The E.R. had pretty much wiped out her battery.I started using mine.I texted everyone.My sons,Nikolas(who was taking Robyn's parents to doctor appointments in Columbus),Adam(working as summer help at my ODOT garage),and still attending college,Tyler.I contacted my Dad,Ted Cathy,Carl Tammie,Greg,Nora,Robyn's family,friends,etc.

I called work(I called them before going to the hospital telling them I would be taking a sick day).

I called my Dad,and talked to numerous others on the phone.

I repeated the story over and over and over(a reoccurring theme).Everyone was so concerned...so nice.

Robyn and I had lunch(at MRH,Robyn could-for five dollars- order herself a hospital meal and even eat right next to me).

I would like to say that time flew,but it dragged.At four o'clock,we were still waiting for a bed to open at a seemingly very busy OSU.

Nikolas,Adam and Adam's girlfriend,Marissa,came to visit.While they were there,worried Tyler called.Tyler wanted to come to Columbus from Nelsonville.We told him that we didn't even know when we would be leaving and that we would let him know.

Since Nikolas,had already driven to Columbus once today,we decided,Adam could drive Robyn over(this decision was made while Adam was still at work and Nikolas still in Columbus).

So,the boys went home .

And,Still we waited.

Finally,at around eight o'clock,we were told that OSU had a bed.

Over her objections,I told Robyn,that I could see no reason for her to come to Columbus tonight.(Just before it was time to go they told us the results of my third blood test.My enzyme levels were down.I was not having continuing heart attack symptoms).They weren't going to do the heart cath until tomorrow.I would feel better if she would sleep in her own bed rather then on a cold uncomfortable couch.

Because she didn't want to stress me,she complied.

Soon the EMS was there to take me on the over an hour trip to Columbus.I have great respect for EMS people.Average Joe's in the thick of things.I guess that makes them above average in my book.

These two guys(both also worked as volunteer firemen-one with a guy I knew from work)honored their profession.Yeah..I truly like the EMS'ers.

I have been lucky all day.Kind,professional people all day.Soon I would be at OSU's Ross Heart Center.I wondered how just the big city would do it.

No comments: