Stat Counter



Tuesday, May 18, 2010

My Heart Attack Story Part 5

At four o'clock in the morning,after the tiny but kind and efficient(Hindu)Indian nurse that would be my main nurse had left the room,another young pup intern came in.He did the-by now,normal-routine,except for one thing,"Your enzyme levels have come back.They are at totally normal levels(he may have said negative levels or something to that effect).This is strange for someone having just had a heart attack.It could mean that something besides a heart attack is going on with you.This is because if you had had a heart attack,you would still be having elevated enzyme levels."

"So,what does that mean?"


"Well,you may not need a heart catheterization."


"That's good...isn't it?"


"We don't know quite yet.I'll be back with a bunch of people,doctors,pharmacists,nurses.We will all be back with 'The Big Cheese'.He'll make the decision"

"Ok,thanks."


"Good luck."


At seven or so,in walked in Robyn.She had been driven through the rain and fog to see me by Nikolas.Thanks,Nik.It was good to see them both.
Another young doctor-this one female,wearing an old fashioned plain floral granny dress under her smock-entered my dome of personal space.A pretty young gal with a heart warming smile,she looked directly into my eyes(I wondered if they were trained to do that).More of the same- same,questions breathing,pulse taking,etc.


She seconded young pup.

Next,Dr.Haas entered the room.I was comforted by the compassion in his eyes and his friendly demeanor,"I know that they told you about your enzyme levels,but I am fighting for them to still do the heart cath."

"OK."

"You're here,"he smiled,"In my opinion,it is better to know than not to know.I am going to strongly suggest to The Big Cheese to go for that."

I don't know why I said it,"I'm rooting for ya.I hope he goes with your call."

"Good,"he smiled,"See you when the Big Cheese and the crowd makes it's rounds."

[Note:I have condensed these doctor conversations for shortness.Robyn participated in all of these conversations.]

Hurry up and wait.

After a tad,The Big Cheese{so called because I had very limited time with him.This is the one and only time I ever saw him,and I can't recall his name}and his gaggle of disciples entered my domain.

Cheese shook my hand and offered a quick greeting.He did a few compulsory checks(breathing,pushing on my belly,checking my feet),and then told me,"We are going to be giving you a heart catheterization.While we my find nothing,we may find that you might need a stint.Though doubtful-because we can do so many wonders with stints-we may find that you...may..need open heart surgery.Though this is very very doubtful."

The gaggle,half I knew,half I didn't,spoke up some.All over smiled.They all seem so confident.Could it be because they were close to the end of it?
I hoped so.I found myself wishing them all well in my mind.


"We'll get you in as soon as we can,"Big Cheese said.He,again,shook my hand,"Good luck."


No comments: