Stat Counter



Tuesday, May 18, 2010

My Heart Attack Story Part 6

After a final episode of hurry up and wait,I was finally rolled to my heart catheterization by a nurse that pushed my bed like a grocery cart.The machine looked like something out a sci-fi movie.Six flat screens hooked together showing different charts and images;a thin patted board to lay on(with flip up clear armrests);at the heart of the machine,a big curved arm with an a box attached at the end of it and a shield that looked like a president's reading screen between me and the young thin(Asian) Indian woman doctor.

The nurse and doctors talked amongst themselves(Did you hear the old man is giving up his season tickets to the Buckeye football games?WoW,he's had those what(?)forty years?).

The nurse that rolled me in,administered either the anesthetic or the dye(or both)via the IV port on the top of my left hand.Another doctor,this one a young man shaved me me in the groin along the crease between the torso and leg.The Indian doctor told me that I might feel a little prick,and off we went.

I felt no pain,maybe a little pushing on my belly.The box by my face,but over my chest,was(I supposed) the x-ray machine.It blocked my view of the six Tv screens,so I just kept looking up.Lights were turning off and on,there was humming and clicking noises.I got lost looking up at the ceiling...hmm,that machine arm has a cracked cover.They should be replace that.That ceiling tile's frame is bent.They should fix it.

I felt pressure on my groin,"Are you to my heart,yet?"

"We are almost finished."

"Already?"

"They go quick when there is nothing there.Besides having four arteries instead of five,"began the girl,"You're perfect.No blockages,no injury to the heart,nothing even pinched."

"The four-"

"You have one larger artery that compensates for lacking one,"said the male doc.

"You won't even have to see your heart doctor when you go back home.You're good,"said the girl.

WoW!

WoW!

WoW!

I was wheeled back somewhat better this time my the same nurse(a male nurse had showed her a trick or two with the bed).Robyn was surprised I was awake.She was even more surprised by the great news.

Soon after,they they did an echocardiogram(a heart ultrasound) that seconded the soundness of my ticker.

Surprise(!)-Tyler showed up!

I couldn't believe how this day was turning out.Horror story to miracle story in the blink of an eye.This kind of stuff doesn't even happen in the movies.

To top it off,when Adam called to ask when it was best for him to come up to Columbus,we told him NOT to.I was going home.

Another young,cute doctor(She looked,acted and talked like she was no older that twenty) came in to explain things that went on during the procedure.Another explained what my responsibilities were going to be afterwords(baby aspirin and a cholesterol medicine were Px).Finally,a nurse that looked no older than eighteen(but swore that she had worked there for 'six' years),came in and had me up and walking around the round heart-center floor.

The only snafu was that my departure was delayed an hour because I still had some bleeding at the plug where they had closed my incision.That was Ok with me,bescause I ended up getting a free meal out of the deal.Tyler watched me eat,went off with Nikolas to get something to eat himself,and then took off back to Hocking for a late class(Thanks,Tyler).

Soon,again with Nik driving,we were doing the hour something drive back home.It was warm-summery-and blue skied all the way home.

It was good to be home.If it wasn't for my incision,I was so healthy,I could have went to work the very next day.

You may not believe in miracles...but I sure do.

No comments: