Stat Counter



Sunday, June 10, 2007

Quickies

The picture to the left was sent to me by my brother,Carl.It is actual hail that came down in Akron Friday afternoon.Luckily,he rode his bicycle to work and his wife,Tammie had put their cars in their garage.Cars that were left outside were heavily damaged.So was Carl's two sky lights in his kitchen and the siding on two sides of his house.





Our associate pastor,Gene Marie,(whom I have talked about before),gave a very nice sermon today about Pastor Will Bowen and his no complaint purple bracelets.Gene actually talked about how not complaining is a form of rejoicing and giving praise...the very things that are supposed to bring you closer to God.



Meanwhile,before hand,a nice lady in our Sunday school class was talking about how much she liked the 'Left Behind' series of books and movies.I bit my tongue because I don't care for them.My opinion is that Christ is not an elitist,and even if he was the 'rapture' would not be a very good way of judging people or forcing people to repent(I believe it is ludicrous trying to 'force' God on people).To my surprise,Robyn spoke up.Robyn teaches low functioning-last chance students.She told a story about a teacher showing these kids this 'Left Behind' based movie at Christmas time.She said how she had very mixed feelings about the movie being shown.Robyn didn't want these students who had done terrible things(and had terrible things happen to them) to think that they had no hope or any future.She thought it sent the kids a very wrong message....Of course I had to pipe in my two cents worth.I said,"Robyn,you mean you don't think no student should be 'left behind'?"



Well,at least I thought it was appropriately funny.

Finally,I am going to be left home alone for ten days.Robyn,Tyler,Adam and Nikolas are going with our church's high school youth group to Juárez, Mexico to help build houses for homeless people,pass out Christian literature and to visit and orphanage.I(hopefully)will spend my home alone time trying to clean the monster mess that is our basement and also try to get my record collection back together.It would be much appreciated if you would care to say a prayer or two for the mission team;for their safety and being able to do a good job.

Thanks,you been real,peace,love,dove,TheDrew



5 comments:

Dharma said...

Luckily we missed the hail that day and just got some storms, not even anything worth sitting on the porch & watching. Since my car is only one month old and we have no room in the garage I would have cried!!

I have not yet received my "complaint bracelets" in the mail, so I am still doing it at will.

I really agree that the "Left Behind" movie was most unappropriate for school. Even though I taught those same type of students you have to imagine that not all their families would find that movie acceptable. You could get in to all kinds of trouble. You know how rural parts of Portage County are. Is your area that Christian that everyone would have okayed that film? As a program do they not have to get films approved? Where does their funding come from? I thought that the books were an exciting and fictional Indiana Jones type adventure. Not anything that anyone should believe, but they were a creative an original story. refreshing in a world of all repeat literature and nothing new.

So, is the record activity the only thing you will be doing that work for your own fulfilment? Now that your family will not be there with the daily demands that you must meet what will you do for yourself? Write? Have a beer and do nothing?

I think it is a great thing to go and build the homes, but why do groups always have to pass out Christian literature? That part drives me crazy. Why can't they just go and do the work without expecting anything, like conversion etc., in return? Just do the good works and if it touches someone's heart, then so be it, but not have to push the issues.

What If There Is dog? said...

I maybe mistaken about the literature.I know that it will not be the main stay of their mission.

As for what else I could be doing for my own fulfilment....though I am home alone,my time and resources will be limited as it is.The basement and my records are putting them to good use...unless something unexpected comes up.

I know allot of people loved the Left Behind series.I just wasn't one of them.

Robyn's old school facilities were Mennonite based,and ,yes there are alot of Christian types as teachers,but it was the schools lack of funding that let teachers bring in their own movies etc.

If you have not gotten your braclet,yet,you should complain to them about it.

I am glad you did not get the hail.

Anonymous said...

Good "left behind" joke!

Enjoy the "me" time!

Mixter

What If There Is dog? said...

Yeah....whatever buddy.

Dharma said...

Funny how that person uses an alien as their photo. Maybe they are pals with Tom Cruise and Xenu