Stat Counter



Monday, January 07, 2008

Sarai,The First Cougar

Genesis 12


One of the best new terms of 2007 is the new meaning of the word 'cougar'.Cougar means a sexy sophisticated middle aged woman who seeks the pleasure of younger males.Before Abraham was called Abraham he was called Abram.Before Abraham's wife was renamed Sarah by an angel of God,she was called,Sarai.

Sarai must have been one sexy cougar.Here's her story.

Now,through the linage of Noah came Abram.When Abram was 75 years old,God told him that He would make Abram a great nation.He also showed Abram the land that Abram would inherit.Abram was married to Sarai.Sarai was 65 years old.This is Sarai's story:

Then a famine came to the land. Abram went down to Egypt to live; it was a hard famine. As he drew near to Egypt, he said to his wife, Sarai, "Look. We both know that you're a beautiful woman. When the Egyptians see you they're going to say, 'Aha! That's his wife!' and kill me. But they'll let you live. Do me a favor: tell them you're my sister. Because of you, they'll welcome me and let me live."

When Abram arrived in Egypt, the Egyptians took one look and saw that his wife was stunningly beautiful. Pharaoh's princes raved over her to Pharaoh. She was taken to live with Pharaoh.

Because of her, Abram got along very well: he accumulated sheep and cattle, male and female donkeys, men and women servants, and camels. But God hit Pharaoh hard because of Abram's wife Sarai; everybody in the palace got seriously sick.

Pharaoh called for Abram, "What's this that you've done to me? Why didn't you tell me that she's your wife? Why did you say, 'She's my sister' so that I'd take her as my wife? Here's your wife back—take her and get out!"

Pharaoh ordered his men to get Abram out of the country. They sent him and his wife and everything he owned on their way.


I must note,that the trouble with the book of Genesis' multiple sources comes into play here.This same basic story is repeated later on in Genesis 20.Though it happens 24 years later.By this time God has changed Abram's name to Abraham and Sarai's to Sarah.

The name change was based on the promise that God would deliver a child to the nearly 100 year old Abraham and the 89 year old Sarah.When the angel of the Lord told them Sarah would be of child,they both laughed.How could they have a child in their advanced old age.

Yet...Between the angel telling them they would have a child and Sarah actually conceiving we have this story from Genesis 20:

Abraham traveled from there south to the Negev and settled down between Kadesh and Shur. While he was camping in Gerar, Abraham said of his wife Sarah, "She's my sister."

So Abimelech, king of Gerar, sent for Sarah and took her. But God came to Abimelech in a dream that night and told him, "You're as good as dead—that woman you took, she's a married woman."

Now Abimelech had not yet slept with her, hadn't so much as touched her. He said, "Master, would you kill an innocent man? Didn't he tell me, 'She's my sister'? And didn't she herself say, 'He's my brother'? I had no idea I was doing anything wrong when I did this."

God said to him in the dream, "Yes, I know your intentions were pure, that's why I kept you from sinning against me; I was the one who kept you from going to bed with her. So now give the man's wife back to him. He's a prophet and will pray for you—pray for your life. If you don't give her back, know that it's certain death both for you and everyone in your family."

Abimelech was up first thing in the morning. He called all his house servants together and told them the whole story. They were shocked. Then Abimelech called in Abraham and said, "What have you done to us? What have I ever done to you that you would bring on me and my kingdom this huge offense? What you've done to me ought never to have been done."

Abimelech went on to Abraham, "Whatever were you thinking of when you did this thing?"

Abraham said, "I just assumed that there was no fear of God in this place and that they'd kill me to get my wife. Besides, the truth is that she is my half sister; she's my father's daughter but not my mother's. When God sent me out as a wanderer from my father's home, I told her, 'Do me a favor; wherever we go, tell people that I'm your brother.'"


Sarah,though ancient,must still have been a babe.After all-didn't folks live to be 800 back then...but if they lived so old why would both Abraham and Sarah laugh about conceiving in their old age?This is the problem in taking the Bible so literally.The multiple,parallel sources used when the story was put together do not always gel.The parable behind the story ,still,has great,great value:showing that through both Abraham and Sarah's faith much was given them.That's priceless.

As for the ancient Sarah....Grrrr,I agree with Abimelech...What a babe :-)

No comments: