Stat Counter



Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Al,Sufjan & Michael

"Straight Out Of Lynwood",is getting rave reviews,and justifiably so.It has some very funny stuff.'White And Nerdy'shows that not only is Weird Al freakin'funny,but that the man can actually rap!Man,does he have a fast mouth.On Al's,'Canadian Idiot',he's got our friends to the north pegged down pat.His nine minute long,'Trapped In A Drive Thru',may,or may not,be your cup of tea.I thought that it was brilliant,and LOL funny.Don't forget Al can still do a mean polka medley.I liked his,'Polkarama',song,allot.

I don't know if you have ever even heard of Sufjan Stevens,but you should.His CD,"Illinoise"..yes,
with an'E',is a masterpiece.It is soo large that his outtakes from it,"Avalanche",is also knocking them dead.For those of you that don't give out music at Thanksgiving time,Christmas music might be a tad too early for you right now.But judging by the Sufjan songs that were free to download...this is going to be a knock your socks off Christmas CD.I can't wait for the whole thing to come out late in November.In fact..I wish it was coming out now!

For those of you who are younger then 35 and live outside of Cleveland,you probably don't know Michael Stanley.The rest of you are probably surprised that he is still making music.
Back in the 1980's,Micheal Stanley and The Michael Stanley Band were local Cleveland legends.Michael's first solo album,"Michael Stanley"("Rosewood Bitters") and his second,"Friends and Legends",still hold up surprisingly well.The Michael Stanley Band double live album,"Stage Pass",besides being a dorm room staple,is probably one of the ten best live albums ever produced.
Now,Michael Stanley has come out with a new CD of cover songs.I like it.With songs like,'Me & Elvis';'I'm Gonna Move To The Outskirts Of Town'(made famous by Ray Charles);'Save The Last Dance For Me'and,of course, Bob Dylan's ,'I Want You',Michael has a nice selection of songs here to enjoy.

1 comment:

Dharma said...

Love Weird Al!! He usually comes to the Tower City Ampitheatre in the summer. If he is there this next summer I am going to take Max and go. I have seen his concert on VH1 and he puts on one great show. Very, very funny and yes, he is talented!!

Michael Stanley is something that I have to be in the right mood and with the right beverages and in the right setting. I am not sure if I want to hear him doing covers. That is almost like a retired Vegas act scenario. I like to remember him in his glory days and on PM Magazine!!!!!!! I did see him live, a few summers ago, at the outdoor theatre down in the Flats. Nautica Stage.