Stat Counter



Monday, October 23, 2006

What In Blue Blazes-Following The Buckeye Trail-Pt.I




Friday morning I decided to get the bad luck out of the way as soon as possible...or should I say,'fate' decided for me.The hatch to the back of our car was still open.I needed to cinch my belt-and the buckle broke.
Now the only reason I wore these pants in the first place was because they had cargo pockets to put my camera,cell phone and other things in.
The front snap on them didn't work,so now-already-having not hiked a step-they were falling down on me.
In retrospect,I should have changed right then and there to my jeans that I brought along.But they had no place to keep my things.I decided to try and make them work.*Sigh* yes,they did keep falling down.I handed Tyler the camera once so I could pull them up...and of course he snapped my picture(Even wearing long johns,I didn't think it was that funny).I wasn't even to the spillway,and disaster had struck.
Of course,not even a quarter mile into the hike-the path was flooded out from the rain.The boys scampered up to the road to go around it.I thought I could make it,and -splash-there went my right foot into the water.

There,the bad luck ended.I safety pinned upped my pants.My boot was water proof...and the trip had begun.



We meandered through some awesome fall foliage right from the start.Even finding an old,but still working lock.The path stayed pretty much right with the Miami-Erie canal.We crossed our constant companion(probably always within a half mile of us)Ohio State Route 66,and after following the wet tall grassy path hit our first town,The nice town of Minster.


In Minster,people seemed to accept the canal as part of the landscape.Though it ran through back yards,it received no fanfare. It was like it was expected just to be there.We didn't see very much of Minster.The trail routed us away from downtown-through a city long alleyway.
Tyler found an apple tree and picked one for us to share.
Aaah,what a cool crisp juicy delicious treat.





Minster was quite the pretty town.













Soon,before we knew it,we were at the next city,The town of New
Bremen.
New Bremen embraced the canal.As we traveled the tow path,yards seem to empty-almost artistically-in landscaping design in the canal.Docks were built,bushes were planted,stones and gravel were laid.The town was even building a brand new lock!














New Bremen is a company town.And the company takes care of the town.







The Crown Equipment Corporation was founded in New Bremen...and it takes care of it's city.The town is rebuilding the canal way.All of the downtown is clean and looks new,or newly rebuilt.The town has a wonderful three story bicycle museum.

The town just seemed like an upscale town on the raise.







Soon,we were back on the BT.After a while we decided to stop for lunch.Tyler got out two of his popcan stoves,and quickly made us some Ramen noodles and we were back on our way again.





Nik liked to take the point.He was our hiking leader.He really enjoyed being out front.And I can see why.


Soon we were on very beautiful trail ,again....




...Hiking through the fallen Osage Oranges...






...and finding and following the BLUE blazes...


...eventually,we came across an old abandoned stone lock.It was beautiful in it's design and
con- struction.
We were amazed my the nearly 200 year old structure.It was massive and made out of carved stone.It reminded us somewhat of a castle.Even just left to rot,it still stood majestic and proud.It just blew us away....





... we found-out in the middle of nowhere- a pear tree filled with ripe delicious pears.We each ate two...






...it was the most refreshed we were all day.And then the sun even began to shine...



...around 5:30 the sun was starting it's descent and we started looking for a good campsite.
We crossed a rickety old bridge,and the canal to the east,a feeder to the north and a wide open field in front of us,we decided to pitch camp(That someone was nice enough to have left a picnic table next to a tree with a blue blaze helped or decision).











We made camp out side of the town of St.Mary's.I cooked supper on my Coleman stove(a couple rice dishes,pepperoni,cheese,coffee,and dried fruit for desert),and before you knew it,it was dark.Nikolas,Tyler and I stayed up to visit.We saw some shooting stars and heard some strange noises,and went to bed.

We were all asleep by 10:00pm.

2 comments:

Dharma said...

I love those little Coleman stoves. The trails looked beautiful, although I don't think I would like to hike through towns. When I am in the wilderness I like to stay that way throughout. No outside people or noises. Total escapism for me!! Sounds good about now. Love the pics of the fall trail. That would make a nice framed photo.

What If There Is dog? said...

Hi,dharma,I,as always,enjoy your comments and get allot out of them.It is strange,I too loved the woods most of all...but going through cities & towns that I never been through before,and enjoying their uniqeness' & quirks was half the fun of the hike.Besides hiking the BT,I never would have discovered these towns.