Stat Counter



Saturday, October 07, 2006

They Found The Macon

In 1992 Robyn and I took the boys to see the,then,presidential candidate,Bill Clinton at the Akron Air dock.I can still remember putting the,then,three year old boys on my shoulders and pointing to the very far away candidate,and saying,"Look,Bill Clinton."I still get a kick out of the fine fellows coming home and pointing to Mr.Clinton on the Tv news and going,"Bill Clinton."

The Air dock is a giant place.The structure is so large,that not only is it an Akron landmark,but it actually has its own weather.It has said to have rained inside of the air dock.The reason it is so large is because it was originally built to make zeppelins-not blimps-but zeppelins...like the Graf Zeppelin and the Hindenburg.

The Akron Air Dock is famous for building both of the world's only fully functioning aerial aircraft carriers-The Akron and it's sister ship,The Macon.Because of design flaws and advancing technology,these were doomed ships.For their history read here .Now,they have found remains of the wrecked Macon- Read article here or check here.

This is amazing stuff,and I have a love affair with these ships.Yes,it is true.Maybe,it is because they were made in Akron(they filled the whole freakin' air dock),but I have always have been awe of these fighting machines and have always wished I could go back in time to have seen them in the air..wouldn't that have been something.

In my,still unpublished novella,'The Pocs Prophecies',I even named the mother ship,'The Akron',and it had a sister mothership I called 'The Macon'.This post is not about the new discovery of 'The Macon'.I just wanted you to see pictures of these beasts...They are awesome!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dharma said...
i was at the airdock, 1980's sometime, when they opened it to the public for the first time. the symphony played the theme from 2001;
A Space Odyssey. It was very cool. A huge place. Thousands of people.