Stat Counter



Saturday, December 02, 2006

Abortion Debate


On their latest CD,'Taking The Long Way',The Dixie Chicks have a very poignant song called,'Voice Inside My Head'.The song is about a woman wondering ten years after the fact if having had an abortion was the right choice.What politicians don't seem to understand is that the abortion issue effects real people making very tough choices.They muddle the issue,make it black and white,and then,all the while not lifting a single finger one iota to help the people who have to make this very personal /difficult choice.
The quagmire they leave behind by calling all abortions murder is ludicrous considering not only is it legal,but scientists and scholars can not even agree on when and what is human life.Are 100 frozen fertilized eggs human life?Some churches believe that a man spilling his seed is taking a human life.Is a just fertilized egg really a human being?Are these instances human life,or just potential human beings?

The Republicans believe that late term abortions should be stopped because the fetus can feel pain.Is pain then the ultimate factor in determining the human condition?If that is the case,then should a botched(legal)abortion attempt where the late term fetus is extracted alive be considerd murder if it then dies outside the womb?

How can the Democratic party be for abortions(Pro -Choice) when they are always in all other cases so pro life for the person or thing that can not help itself?How can the party against killing baby seals be for killing baby humans?I know that the issue for Democrats is the right to do with your own body as you so choose-not the governments....but if that is the case why aren't the Democrats legalizing prostitution and the selling of human body parts?I have actually met several people that are against putting to death mass murderers,but are pro-choice.

This is how schizophrenic our American culture is about sex,love,life and death.Our commercials,Tv shows,movies,books and music preach the glories of free sex.Our churches preach total abstinence and no forms of birth control.All this does is leave good,well meaning people in one big pickle.Neither being poor,nor losing a carefree lifestyle are always sins big enough not to have an unwanted baby.Many poor people grow up leading lives of love and happiness,so do many people with unfulfilled dreams(When people try to justify other people having abortions because they state,"What kind of life would that poor child had had anyway?"it just gets my goat.Bigots).

But....even though more and more unwed mothers are now choosing to have their babies,how can we condemn those whom either through fear and/or not being able to see any other way other out decide to have the legal abortion?

How can a government that sends innocent boys and girls off to a bullshit war complain about a woman's right to choose?How can the party against big government attempt to have big government tell us we don't have the same choice that the government has over us?It's unAmerican.

If your church has taken a strong stance on abortion,then it is up to you whether you want to be a member of that church.But you can't leave the American government.Since where life begins is not at this time the same line etched in stone for everyone-either legally nor morally-shouldn't there be some leeway somewhere along the line?Shouldn't everyone have a right to listen to that voice inside their head?And should we not rather be consoling then condemning and casting stones?

6 comments:

Dharma said...

No matter what ANY church says, or believes, I will take my own stand. I am sure that the church I attend is against abortion, but I continue to believe in personal choice. It will all be held for accountability later. I don't believe that another person can tell me or any other woman what we must do. Especially in the case of rape and/or incest!!

Yes, I feel that it is very irresponsible to use as a form of birth control when stupid sexual activities make a baby, but again, who are we to tell anyone what choices they can make.

What If There Is dog? said...

I used to to have a friend that was the product of a union between his own father and his own sister.His father then traded him to his(my friend's)uncle for a color Tv.My friend is one of the nicest,kindest persons you would ever want to meet...that being said....I agree with you...though the God I follow is the God of unending love and mercy...sometimes Earthly decisions have to be made whether he is or not...that is what is called grace...based on their circumstances and conflictions,I have admired and respected women that have had abortions,just like,based on their circumstances and confictions I have also admired and respected those that didn't....I love and honored both.

Dharma said...

We are born with free agency and all things said and done we are here to make mistakes. We do this often. Decisions are ours to make and the judgement comes later. Having a child after that type of union is one persons choice, but not a choice that should be forced upon anyone.

What If There Is dog? said...

Being a man I don't feel I have the right to judge any woman on her choice whether or not she should have an abortion.I can either encourage or discourage,but the ultimate judge and jury has to be the girl herself

Anonymous said...

Drew, your first comment was nothing less than beautiful!

BTW: Are you still having commenting issues at the Mix? I can comment here on my laptop, but not on my desktop -- I have no idea why.

Mixter

What If There Is dog? said...

Yes ,it is very hard to get through even to my own blog to leave a comment.As soon as I hit either the word verifacation or my own password I am ussually booted off my MSN browser..I don't know why....by the way,thank you for your nice comment..this is my 7th atempt at sending this