Stat Counter



Monday, September 25, 2006

Hell Is For Habanero

Being sort of in a blue funk anyway,I decided to breakdown and do the Habanero Challenge with Tyler.Yes,The Ty Man has been challenging me to eat one of his self grown habanero peppers with him for quite a while now...And I have been putting him off on it.

And with good reason:the habanero pepper is one of the hottest peppers around.Habanero peppers,like most peppers have a chemical in them called capsaicin.It is what makes the peppers taste and feel hot.

Scoville heat units(SHU) are a way of measuring this capsaicin hotness.The capsaicin in a pepper is diluted with water until the hotness can no longer be tasted.Bell peppers have no capsaicin and have a Scoville rating of '0'.Jalapenos have between 2,000-8,000 SHU's.Cayenne peppers have between 30,000-50,000.

Habaneros have between 100,000-300,000 SHU'S.

We divided one yellowish ripened habanero-each of us with an equal amount of seeds-straight up and down the middle,and ate(chewed)them whole.At first they tasted just like bell peppers & then the HEAT kicked in.I have a simple way of knowing when a pepper is hot:I hic-cup.I started immediately.

Of course we both agreed on no bread,water,chocolate or anything else until the majority of the heat was gone.The saying is true,if you are in pain,eat a habanero:You will not be able to feel anything else.My mouth was on fire,I was hic-cupping like mad,my nose was running,my ears were plugged up...I COULDN'T FEEL MY FEET!

Wowser!They were hot.Here I am two hours later.The heat,for the most part,is gone.But I am still feeling no pain,sort of euphoric,actually....



...DO I suggest this sort of tournament on anyone else?Well,it was a strange way of having fun...but we were having fun:-)
Thank you Tyler and your cursed Habaneros

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done. I seriously doubt I would be up to that challenge. I was cutting up a habenero one time as I was making a pot of chili and accidentally rubbed my eye. I do not recommend that.

What If There Is dog? said...

Thank you Esteban,I know what you mean about getting the pepper in your eyes.While I was writing this post I rubbed my eyes and I must of still had the oil on my fingers.I was crying like a Pittsburgh fan after their lost to Cincy

Osquer said...

Ouch, Drew! That was for the Steeler reference! And DOUBLE OUCH on the peppers! I use jalepenos in my salsa and that's hot enough for me. I planted a habanero plant this year, but it hasn't done well at all and has produced no fruit. I'm kind of relieved, because I would have had to do a batch of salsa with one and that would probably have burned my eyebrows off!

Speaking of facial hair, it must be fall, Drew's got the beard going! Looks good, and your facial expression is priceless!

What If There Is dog? said...

Kudos on the beard...er...goatee-I have too much grey and not enough hair on top for a full beard...makes me look like a santa Claus wantta be :-O

Osquer said...

Technically that would be a Van Dyke. Without the moustache would be a goatee.

I wouldn't worry if I were you. You're too fit to be mistaken for a jolly old elf with a belly that shakes like a bowl full of jelly! Santa should take up backpacking!

What If There Is dog? said...

A Van Dyke,aah....No wonder people have been calling me a DICK!Learn something new every day.And...I have been putting on a little weight..I may not have a jelly belly but I am beginning to work on a beer one.

Dharma said...

I agree with Mixter. I don't like food that is painful or makes me hurt. Food , for me, is a joy and I want to savor every bite. Not hurt. I like a little spice, to make it nice, but those peppers are just way too hot for any kind of fun.

Dharma said...

As for the goatee I think you should shave off the chin and go for the long moustache. That is a very good look. At least I love it. I have my SO do it every so often and lengthen the sideburns a tad too. So what if its shorter on top!! There is plenty of other to work with and that can make the look a good one!!

What If There Is dog? said...

I,too,have tried that look before,but the main reason for my growing facial hair is so I don't have to shave that cursed unshavable chin

Osquer said...

dharma, I love long sideburns on a man!