Stat Counter



Saturday, September 09, 2006

Rebuilding The Twin Towers

I think most Americans agree with Donald Trump,they want the Twin Towers rebuilt.I did not know exactly just how strongly I felt on this position until I saw them-new and standing proud-in the movie,'Click'.It was just a fleeting moment in an otherwise forgettable movie,but seeing the movie's version of what I believed to be the new Twin Towers(if just for an instant)choked me up,and almost brought me to tears.

Soon after the 9/11 tragedies,New York Governor George Pataki and New York City Mayor Rudolph Giuliani helped form the Lower Manhattan Development Corporation.The LMDC held two design competitions,one for rebuilding the WTC,and another for creating a memorial for the victims.

In February 2003 Daniel Libeskinds won the building contest with his Freedom Tower design.It was to be 1776 feet tall and to feature a hanging garden.In January 2004 architects Michael Arad and Peter Walker won the memorial competition with a design called 'Reflecting Absence'.The design was to be built where the original two towers stood,and was to consist of two shallow pools(filled by waterfalls) surrounded by leafy trees.The names of the victims were to be etched in the walls surrounding the pools.


In June 0f 2005 both of these plans were scrapped because of 'safety' concerns,and new designs were planned.

I am glad.I think two new towers should be the memorial themselves.

Now,don't get me wrong,I think both The Freedom Tower and The Reflecting Absense memorial were both beatuiful,well thought out ideas.Both honor or country and the 9/11 victims.I just don't think that they are the most fitting tribute we as Americans should offer.

I feel the most fitting tribute should consist of the two towers.Of all the new designs that I have seen,I actually like the Freedom Tower design the best.I say,instead of making them 1776 feet tall,make them 2,973 feet tall:one foot for each victim.If that height is too big,too unrealistic,at least make the height 2001 feet...a more fitting number.Lets face it.Everyone wants the tallest highest building here.Let's make them that.

Of course,this is just my opinion...what is yours?

3 comments:

Dharma said...

Is there ANY type of memorial/design that will/would be a truly fitting memorial to those people? I think that something should be built, but I don't think design etc. is the biggest deal. As long as it is there in their memories. Tasteful and simple might be the way to go. Nothing gaudy or ostentatious that screams "super size me" tackiness. This should be for them, not just so we have the tallest building. The building itsself is just going to be an extension of them. Something beautiful for their families and for those who lived through it.

Osquer said...

My personal instinct is to rebuild the towers again from the original design. I stood on the top of one of the towers in my youth and the view of the city was for want of a better word perfect. I think we should rebuild them just as they were. I feel that would be not only a fitting tribute to the people who worked and died in them, but it would bring back something that terrorists took away from us. (Yes I realize we can't bring back the people and that is the true loss.) What could be more frustrating to someone than seeing a symbol they had destroyed pop back us just as it was?

What If There Is dog? said...

Dear Dharma and Osquer,thank you both of your inputs.Both of your opinions have value that add to the conversation.The reason I feel that bigger is better is not only because of the difficult circumstances of their destructions,but because of the need for them to,also be replaced.There is not only the need for a monument,or office space,but also for healing and thinking that went into the original buildings themselves.
What did they stand for?What will they stand for when they are built a new?What is it are we asking of the new WTC buildings?
I say we make them a sign of American pride.To paraphrase John F.Kennedy,"We do it,not because it is easy,but because it is hard."In my opinion,these building should be a lasting monument for all to see.For all to know that we as Americans welcome all peoples and ideals,but we will never be forced to bow before them.